I can’t believe I haven’t updated this blog in one whole month! Life has been a bit overwhelming (work + school + life in general). I won’t bore you with the details, but it really got me thinking about balance.
The word balance is kind of thrown around (pinterest, i’m looking at you)…but obviously anyone who has to juggle life, kids, school, work, working out, relationships, traumatic life events…whatever…know that it’s not quite that simple.
I put so much pressure on myself, but I realized that a major part of balance is only attempting to balance what truly matters. I realized that sometimes it just does not matter if the dishes are done or I can’t fit a workout in. It’s not necessary to try and juggle a million things at once. Sure I can take on too much, but it’s only a matter of time before something isn’t getting proper attention. There are periods of life where more is possible, and others where it’s simply survival mode. Only YOU know where you are at and what you can truly handle.
A huge aspect of health is mental health, and pushing yourself to the limit is no way to treat yourself. I think we are our own worst critic (can’t be just me, right?), but you can’t forget to cut yourself some slack!! I really need to take my own advice on this. Don’t forget about your mental and emotional health!
Have a great week!
When most people decide it’s time to make a change to their lifestyle, they feel extremely intimidated/overwhelmed by all of the “must-do” things that are suggested over and over by health gurus/media/women’s magazines, etc. etc. [juicing, #cleaneating, hitting the gym hard everyday, and on and on foreverrrr]. So overwhelmed they just stop.
It’s too bad!! Even little changes can make a big impact, and especially for those who currently aren’t doing much in the health/fitness aspect of life.
SO…if you are trying to get a little more fit, or just want to be even more bad ass then you already are, or just start from scratch, here are a few ideas.
Don’t forget!! If you are trying to adopt a new habit – only do one thing at a time!!
- one 8oz glass of water before your morning cup of coffee (or diet coke)
- a 15 minute walk after dinner
- try 1 new class at the gym
- 5 minutes of meditation (even in your car!!)
- youtube yoga sesh
- walk while you watch your kids play sports
- always drink water with dinner
- try meal prepping 1 item this week
- get up from your desk and walk 2x per day
- invite your co-worker (or child/friend/whoever) for an after lunch walk
- or take a walk with your thoughts
- try a new-to-you walking or hiking path
- pack your lunch 1 extra time this week
- give meal planning a try (or just plan dinners or lunches or snacks)
- swap 1 soda for 1 extra cup of water today
- put in your headphones and go for a walk, jog, run, bike ride! (i LOVE listening to podcasts while walking)
- take your dog for a walk instead of making your kids do it
- if you already walk, take a jog!
- do a 10 minute HIIT/circuit workout
Again…just pick ONE and stick with it for a week or 2. Think about how you felt after, if it’s something you like, brought you happiness, or made you feel better in any way, keep it up! Remember that exercise is for so much more than just losing weight. These days sitting is considered the new smoking so just moving a little more during the day can prevent muscle loss, chronic diseases, and of course- help with weight. Exercise is also great for improving mood, focus, and depression/anxiety. I 110% believe this with my whole heart….give it a try 😉
What small changes have you seen make a great impact in your life?? Tell me about it here, or tweet at me @afitgirlsguide.
I think everyone faces a lack of motivation at some point. It’s normal for this feeling to ebb and flow, but what about when you just need to get your act together? Sometimes you have to be a big girl, but let’s face it…..sometimes you want to just snooze a little longer (or just waste a little more time instead of actually getting to work)!
I had a recent epiphany though, that no matter how many times I press snooze (or how good it might feel in the moment), it does NOT lead to feeling more rested. If anything I end up feeling rushed AND tired, instead of just a bit sleepy. Now when I’m feeling lazy in the morning, I make myself get up and make my bed. It leaves me feeling productive, and then I can start my morning.
Whether it’s work, fitness, or just life that needs to get done…here are some tips for YOU.
- Go outside. Take a 5 minute walk and listen to your favorite song, or even better- this podcast.
- Keep a private Pinterest board called motivation, with the things that speak to you personally. When the going gets tough, open up your board and remind yourself WHY you are going to push through.
- Meditate. Take 5. Close your eyes and imagine yourself being successful, working hard, and kicking butt. Set a timer on your phone, and when the alarm rings, it’s time to get moving.
- Ask yourself WHY. Are you just sleepy? Feeling lazy? Not excited about your goals anymore? Asking yourself why can get to the root of the problem! If it’s just about of laziness, give yourself 5 more minutes to do whatever you want…pinterest, online shopping…but SET A TIMER!! And then get to work!
- Stand up and stretch! There is something about getting the blood moving that wakes up the mind, and allows you to keep powering through. Look up some videos for stretching on youtube. There are a ton, no matter your level of privacy or surroundings!
- Drink a large glass of water. Seems weird right? But dehydration can do some funky things to the mind and body, so drink up! Doing something good for yourself will give you a little step in the right direction.
Do you have any tips for getting sh*t done?? If you want some more productivity tips, check out this post.
As I was preparing for the week ahead, I realized that there is really something to be said for a good ritual. I am definitely a creature of habit, but I think if you are trying to change any habits, then routine is necessary!! For example, I LOVE giving my apartment a good scrub down before the week starts. It helps me start fresh, and there is nothing better than going to sleep in a fresh bed! On Saturday I went to town scrubbing floors, bathrooms, washing the sheets and towels, and even my makeup brushes. It made my Sunday so much easier (and much more enjoyable), since I could just relax before starting a new week.
A few other rituals that can start your week on the right foot….
- a little meal prepping
- a long bath/shower
- decompressing with a good book
- a sweaty workout
- a fresh mani/pedi
- deep cleaning your home!
- tidying your work space
- hanging up your clothes (SO guilty of letting this get out of hand during the week…)
- meal planning
If I had all the time in the world I’d do them all, but hey….just choosing one or two will help you start the week on a productive note!!
Enjoy your week!
Happy Monday! I LOVE when the 1st of the month is on a Monday. It feels like such a fresh start to the month. This month I’m looking forward to visiting Santa Barbara with my family and naturally I’ll be laying on the beach. Can’t wait.
With the crazy summer months upon us, I thought I’d share a little reminder that your workouts don’t have to take place in the gym! Go for a hike or a walk on the beach, do yoga in your backyard, swim laps at your hotel, go paddle boarding in the ocean. Fitness should add to your life, not be the focus of your life. It’s also important to remember that you feel better when you are working out (versus skipping your workouts entirely). Sometimes I need this reminder.
Have a great month!
OMG…what a month. April was the craziest month ever and I accidentally took a nice long break from blogging. Oh well. The semester is practically over, I’ve started a new job, and I’m ready to get back to a (somewhat) normal schedule this summer! I am ready to get back into a normal fitness routine too!! I’ll be sharing my new routine too…
Anyway. Here’s a tiny instagram (@afitgirlsguide) re-cap over the past couple of weeks
tulip festival fun
new favorite pre-workout ^^^pizza + hydrangeas = the way to my heart ^^evening dog walking in perfect weather new obsession ^^ (SO ADDICTING)another beautiful sunset ^^mid-day workout break….
Have a great Monday!
I was listening to a fitness podcast this weekend and heard someone say that YOU are the easiest person you can fool. How often do we say to ourselves, “oh I’ll do xyz this weekend”, or “oh I totally eat 6 servings of fruits/veggies everyday!!!” We fool ourselves all the damn time!! Straight up LIES. This obviously applies to other areas of life too… (“He will totally change this time!!!” is pretty common…) Honesty is of course the best policy with others, but what about yourself? I think we owe it to ourselves to be honest!
Being honest with yourself comes down to accountability and taking a look at what’s really going on. Instead of saying “Why am I not seeing progress?!!!?!!”, maybe we can take a look at a the reality [aka…oh maybe because I ate 2 boxes of girl scout cookies and hamburger this weekend].
This week make an effort to be honest with yourself. With health, fitness, or even your personal life…relationship..finances(!).whatever. Just be honest with yourself. You deserve it, and your life can only improve. Have a great week!