I love October in Utah…and this was a perfect fall weekend. We went to a couple of farmers markets, I made applesauce and apple muffins, and we went up to an adorable restaurant in the mountains for Sunday Brunch. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Annnd a fall recipe–
Apple Cinnamon Oat Muffins- based on this recipe
- 1 cup rolled/old-fashioned oats + 1/4 cup, divided
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used homemade because it’s what I had- and it was delicious)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar + 1 tablesppon, divided
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon +1 tablespoon, divided
- 1 cup diced apples, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners or grease the muffin cups. Set aside..
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oatmeal, applesauce, milk, egg, vanilla, butter and sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and 1/2 c diced apples. Make a well in the center and pour in the applesauce mixture. Stir until just combined (don’t overmix).
- Combine 1/2 cup diced apples, 1/4 cup oats, and tablespoon of each cinnamon and sugar.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups (I used 24 minis). Top with apple cinnamon mixture. Bake for 15-20 (or 10-15 for minis) minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins to a rack to cool completely. Once cool, I place 6-9 muffins in a large freezer ziploc bag or container–if you can keep your hands off of them! They are yummy!