Now that the resolutions for 2013 have been made, how do you ensure that they aren’t broken by February? I have a few ideas to help you stick to your goals…..
1. Write it down! Write your goal in a place that you will see it. It doesn’t matter if that’s in your cell phone, your journal, or a list on your nightstand- but putting your goal into words will improve your chances of keeping it in the long term. After you write it down, read it on a regular basis!
2. Make a game plan. Come up with a few steps to make each of your goals more doable. Sometimes, when you have a huge goal in mind, focusing on how far you have to go can almost be counterproductive. Instead, put your focus on those small goals and reward yourself when you meet them.
3. Let other people know about your goals. It doesn’t matter who you tell, but letting them know and asking them to help you stay accountable will increase your chances of success.
A few of my health-related goals for the new year:
- drink more water…at least 64 oz/ day. To accomplish this, I plan on filling up my water bottle at work a few times a day
- work out at least 4 days per week. 2 days of cardio + abs, 2 days of strength….easy peasy
- eat out once a week at most (and keep that meal pretty clean unless it’s a planned cheat)…this will involve more carefully planning weekend meals (when I am more prone to eat out)